The Falcon Cry

The Student News Site of Lively Middle School

The Falcon Cry

The Falcon Cry

96th Annual Academy Awards

Trae Patton
Charles Roven, Emma Thomas, and Christopher Nolan accept the Oscar® for Best Picture during the live ABC telecast of the 96th Oscars® at the Dolby® Theatre at Ovation Hollywood on Sunday, March 10, 2024. ©A.M.P.A.S.

The 2024 Oscars was a well-anticipated event, with over 20 million watchers. The Academy Awards, also known as the Oscars, is considered one of the world’s most prestigious awards. The award is presented annually and helps recognize achievements in the film industry.

The award ceremony was held on Sunday, March 10, at the Dolby Theater in Los Angeles. It was also broadcast on ABC. A 7th-grade student, Sade Hascall, commented “It was amazing that it ended on time due to the fact it always goes really late.” The event began at 7 pm EDT/4 pm PDT and lasted about 3 hours and 30 minutes. Jimmy Kimmel hosted the event, making it his 4th time hosting the Oscars.

There are 24 different categories that films can win in.  The categories are: Best Picture, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Director, Original Screenplay, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Production Design, Editing, Original Score, Original Song, Costume Design, Makeup and Hairstyling, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Visual Effects, Foreign-Language Film, Animated Feature Film, Animated Short, Live-Action Short, Documentary Feature, and Documentary Short. To be eligible for the Oscars, a film must be publicly exhibited for paid admission for at least one week at a commercial theater in Los Angeles during one year. Only Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences members can nominate and vote for winners.

Many popular shows/movies were present at the Oscars. “Oppenheimer” had 13 nominations and earned awards in major categories. “Oppenheimer” won the most Oscars, with 7 awards won. “Barbie” earned 8 nominees, but only won 1. All the winners and nominees can be found at the official Oscars website.

Here are some highlights of the 96th Oscars:

• Ryan Gosling and Mark Ronson were performing “I’m Just Ken” along with the other kens from the Barbie movie.
  • Messi the dog made an appearance after previously not planning to attend.
  • Billie Eilish and her brother Finneas became the youngest two-time Oscar winners.

If you missed the show while it was live, there are many other websites that you can watch the Oscars from. The full broadcast of the Oscars (commercial-free) is available on ABC. You can also search for clips of the Oscars on social media. For example, there are clips of the event on YouTube and TikTok.