The Falcon Cry

The Student News Site of Lively Middle School

The Falcon Cry

The Falcon Cry

Jennette Everett named Teacher of Promise at Lively

The 2023/2024 school year is starting to come to an end, and with that, it’s now time to distribute the awards. Among them, the Teacher of Promise award has officially been announced, and after what I’m sure was a very challenging vote the administration team has decided on Ms. Jennette Everett, a first-year photojournalism, newspaper, and yearbook teacher, to be the winner! We know she won, but now it’s time we get to see why, how, and the overall opinions of Everett.

Before diving into Everett’s story, I think it’s important to see from an outsider the kind of teacher she is; and the arguably best person to learn this from is Ms. Samantha Gang, Lively’s theater teacher and last year’s teacher of promise. “She’s incredible,” Gang said confidently. I already got my answer, but diving in a bit more I asked her if she was happy with this decision. I’d some up Ms. Gang’s words, but she put it so perfectly that I think it’s only wise to show her exact words.

“Absolutely, I think that she has contributed so much to Lively already, and I think that she fits the description perfectly. A teacher of promise is someone who shows great potential and makes an impact on life in a way that they are not only passionate about but that fuels passion within the students, and I think that’s awesome,” said Gang.

As wonderful as that description was, there was one word especially that stuck out to me. Passion. Because, when asking Ms. Everett questions, her passion for her craft really shone through. I started simply, by asking about how she felt when she got this reward. “I was extremely honored because I work with some amazing first-year falcons, and so I knew the decision must have been difficult. There are a lot of teachers that are new to Lively that deserve this award,” said Everett.  

Soon, though, I got deeper. I asked her the question that was on mind the most, does she think she deserved this award? We know others do, but sometimes personal belief triumphs. Luckily, though, I was met with a yes. “I do think I earned it.  When I take on a job, I give a lot of myself to it and so when I took a teaching position at Lively I did everything in my power to be active. Attending every football, basketball, volleyball, soccer game that I could. I wanted to make sure I could support my students outside of the classroom and I think my determination of putting student engagement first is what made me a good candidate for this reward. I attended those sporting events not only to support my students on the field and on the court but to give one on one photography lessons to my students and assist them in their work,” Everett said.

After a few more I was left with one of the two most pressing questions. Firstly, has this award pushed you to do anything? “This reward has made me start thinking of what I want my next 20 years to look like. I want to ensure my students know I will be here in ten years when they want to come back and visit and talk about their education. I will still be here at Lively waiting for them.”

And secondly, What inspires you to be a better teacher? “My students. Trying to figure out ways to engage with them and connect with them and get them excited so that they share my passion with photography.” There you can see it again, the passion.

It’s clear Ms. Everett is a hard-working, passionate teacher. Every answer, whether in this article or not, showed that. It shows she cares. It shows she’s striving to be the best teacher she can be. And I think that’s what every teacher here, new or old, armored in awards or not, needs.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Falcon Cry

Your donation will support the student journalists of Lively Middle School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.